MML Designs... Quilts and Handmade Gifts

4.10.2010

Memory Quilts...

As of late I've been searching for a way to help people who have lost a loved one, especially those who have lost someone in overseas in Iraq or Afghanistan. The best idea I've thus far ( i think) is to make memory quilts so that these families have something to curl up with while also remembering their loved one, or hang on the wall as a photo collage or sorts. The problem is, I haven't done anything like this aside from the picture quilt I made for P & SB's wedding. So... I'm thinking I'll make one for both of my grandfathers who have passed and see if I like what I come up with... I started making a memory quilt for one of them while I was at art school, I never finished it, but now might be a good time... maybe i'll be able to come up with something and hopefully it'll work! I'll keep you posted on the results. 


The only other thought... which is completely different, sort of... is making a memory quilt out of the clothing of a loved one. I've never really made one of these either, but I have seen several including this one that Paula made for a client. The other option is something similar to the t-shirt quilts I make, only incorporating more articles of clothing besides t-shirts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment